Monday, June 15, 2009

thing #15; web and library 2.0

As a person who went to school in the 60's and 70's, sometimes I find all this technology a bit overwhelming. The library of my youth is long since gone; a place of quiet solitude; a place where I used to go to just to get away to daydream many times instead of work; a place that smelled of dusty, moldy books and where the only words heard were "shhhhh!". Well, as Bob Dylan sang, "The times, they are a-changing" and I think for the best.
I would be doing my students a disservice if I did not use the latest technology to help them succeed. The days of doing research cards and the like are long gone. I doubt if there is a college student out there that does a research paper the way that many teachers are still teaching them (note cards etc.) I still remember carrying home arm-loads of books. Many of the "things" that we have done so far will be valuable to me in helping students do research.
To keep up with this ever-changing technology, exercises like this are extremely valuable. We need more hands on tasks such as this to help us along the way. The problem that I see is a lack of computer access and a lack of people who are knowledgeable enough to get this information across to the students. Hopefully, after being a part of library 2.0, I will be able to do this.

1 comment:

  1. think how many people you will be able to share this knowledge with after doing this program...and the more folks we share with, the easier it will become for all of us and how great that is for our students!

    ReplyDelete