Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Thing #5 facebook

I have been on facebook for about a year now and enjoy using it; just recently I re-connected with some old high school friends and set up an impromptu mini reunion. I only have close friends and family members on my facebook. I do not want students or ex-students on my facebook. I have read the horror stories of teachers losing jobs because of things posted on facebook and feel that it is just not worth the risk to involve students or ex-students. If I ever was going to do this, I would set up a separate account just for that purpose. I really do not see a use for this in my classroom. I cannot see a practical use for back-channeling or twitter in a high school classroom. I can see the benefits in a college lecture class or at a symposium, but not for class use.

1 comment:

  1. I'm also taking PBworks Wiki Summer Camp and have just learned more about wikis. I think this is something you could "set up" and have interaction with students. In fact, you can have their comments e-mailed to you every hour and take off what you don't want up there. It looks like you have a busy schedule with being football coach. Here is one site that we looked at last week for homework. It is a collaborative effort with the librarian and other facutly. http://prhslibrary.pbworks.com/

    ReplyDelete